The Math Forum

Topic: 3)Stanford's entire math dept. fired//unable to confirm that oval is
conic not ellipse//as insane in math as Jan Bielawski

Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 3, 2017 6:16 AM

Me

Re: Stanford math dept as dumb as Mike Moroney in math??// Conic
section is OVAL, never ellipse

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 6:23:27 AM UTC+2, Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

> Franz, Me wrote:

> Analytic Geometry Proof, Cylinder [and Cone] Section [...] is a[n] Ellipse:

^ x

-+- <= x=h
.' | `.
/ | \
. | .
G | +c | H
. | .
\ | /
`. | .´
y <----------+ <= x=0

> The above is a view of a ellipse with center c and is produced by the
> Sectioning of a Cylinder as long as the cut is not perpendicular to the base,
> and as long as the cut involves two points not larger than the height of the
> cylinder walls. What we want to prove is that the cut is always a ellipse,
> which is a [certain] plane figure of two axes of symmetry with a Major Axis
> and Minor Axis and center at c.
>
> So, what is the proof that [cut] figure EGFH is always an ellipse in the
> cylinder section [as well as in the cone section]?

It turns out that a cylinder can be considered as a special case of a cone here. Actually, there's a simple proof which works for both cases, cone and cylinder.

(@Archie: This shows that there is no essential difference between these two cases.)

Cone/Cylinder (side view):

/ | \ (with b <= a)
/b | \
/---+---´ <= x = h
/ |´ \
/ ´ | \
/ ´ | \
x = 0 => ´-------+-------\
/ a | \

(cone: b < a, cylinder: b = a = r)

r(x) = a - ((a-b)/h)x
d(x) = a - ((a+b)/h)x

y(x)^2 = r(x)^2 - d(x)^2 = ab - ab(2x/h - 1)^2 = ab(1 - 4(x - h)^2/h^2

=> (1/ab)y(x)^2 + (4/h^2)(x - h)^2 = 1 ...equation of an ellipse

Some considerations:

=> y(h/2 + x')^2 = sqrt(ab - ab(2(h/2 + x')/h - 1)^2) = ab - ab(2x'/h)^2

=> y(h/2 + x') = sqrt(ab) * (sqrt(1 - (2x'/h)^2) ...symmetric relative to h/2 (hence Ec = cF)

=> y(h/2) = sqrt(ab) (= Gc = cH)

@Archie: Yes, this proves that (certain) cone sections "as depicted in my diagram" as well as (certain) cylinder sections (as described by you) are ellipses. qed

Note, Archie, that there is no reference to Dandelin Spheres whatsoever.

Still not convinced? Can you point out an error in my simple calculation (of the shape of the cone/cylinder section) above?

Date Subject Author
9/27/17
Read 3)Stanford's entire math dept. fired//unable to confirm that oval is
conic not ellipse//as insane in math as Jan Bielawski
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
9/27/17
Read Re: 3)Stanford's entire math dept. fired//unable to confirm that oval
is conic not ellipse//as insane in math as Jan Bielawski
Jan Bielawski
9/28/17
Read 4)Stanford's entire math dept. fired//easily see why Jan Bielawski
was bounced out of California school
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
9/28/17
Read Re: 4)Stanford's entire math dept. not fired//easily see why Archimedes Plutonium was bounced out of school
Michael Moroney
9/28/17
Read 5)Stanford's entire math dept. fired//Moroney thinks MIT is agreeing
with him--ellipse is conic
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
9/28/17
Read Re: 5)Stanford's entire math dept. fired//Moroney thinks MIT is
agreeing with him--ellipse is conic
Jan Bielawski
9/29/17
Read Re: Math Failure Archimedes Plutonium Succeeds at something -- Failing!!!
Michael Moroney
10/2/17
Read Stanford math dept as dumb as Mike Moroney in math??// Conic section
is OVAL, never ellipse
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/2/17
Read Re: Stanford math dept as dumb as Mike Moroney in math??// Conic
section is OVAL, never ellipse
Me
10/3/17
Read Re: Stanford math dept as dumb as Mike Moroney in math??// Conic
section is OVAL, never ellipse
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
10/3/17
Read Re: Stanford math dept as dumb as Mike Moroney in math??// Conic
section is OVAL, never ellipse
Me
10/2/17
Read Re: Failure Plutonium's College Guessing Game - Failure #5, Stanford!!!
Michael Moroney
10/3/17