The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

netzweltler

From: Germany
= 0.333...

Am Mittwoch, 4. Oktober 2017 01:29:50 UTC+2 schrieb Jim Burns:
> On 10/3/2017 3:25 PM, netzweltler wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 3. Oktober 2017 16:20:25 UTC+2
> > schrieb Jim Burns:

> [...]

> >> Is it clear to you? Really?
> >>
> >> I ask because the basis for your whole complaint, in many
> >> threads, is that '...' means "infinitely many commands" in
> >> some way but then you're all "Whoa! that makes no sense, guys".
> >> It does not look to me as though _what you think_ '...'
> >> means in this context is at all clear _to you_ .
> >>
> >> ( _What you think_ it means is not what it means. This is
> >> _my_ point.)

> > Sorry, I don't get what you are trying to teach me.

> Do you understand our first exchange? I'm not asking if you
> _agree_ with me. Do you _understand_ me?
>
> <Burns<netzweltler>>
>

> > Do you agree that 0.999... means infinitely many
> > commands
> > Add 0.9 + 0.09
> > Add 0.99 + 0.009
> > Add 0.999 + 0.0009
> > ...?

> 0.999... does not mean infinitely many commands.
>
> </Burns<netzweltler>>

To me it looks like that we don't even agree, that there are infinitely many 9s following.
If there are infinitely many 9s following then there is a bijection between N and the decimal places in 0.999...
If there are infinitely many 9s following then we are dealing with an infinite stepwise process as described above and I can't see why this shouldn't mean "infinitely many commands".

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
Guest
= 0.333...