The Math Forum

Topic: Some interesting quotes by Adolf Hitler who would have conquered
the world had he not been too hasty.

Replies: 4   Last Post: Oct 5, 2017 2:47 AM

jsavard@ecn.ab.ca

Re: Some interesting quotes by Adolf Hitler who would have conquered

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 1:35:37 PM UTC-6, Dan Christensen wrote:

> "Hitler was a genius... As from a moral point of view, again his actions can't be judged, because his morals are different.? (Like JG's morals?)
> -- March 18, 2015

I agree, that is piffle.

Of course his actions can be judged: his actions were harmful to us, and that is
what makes them "bad". What _he_ thought about the morality of his actions was
simply irrelevant.

That our actions of putting a stop to his actions were even less deserving of
moral judgement - whatever that means, because, yes, sometimes it is complicated
to say who started it, though usually it's obvious even to a child - should be
clear enough.

The question of whether, had he been captured alive, Hitler should have been put
in a jail cell or a padded cell is moot. Back then, like several of the Nazi war
criminals who were taken alive, he would of course have been executed. And I
cannot really think that _this_ makes our ancestors savage or primitive.

Basically, we could all get along. Unless some choose to commit aggression, to
bully others and try to take what is not theirs. Such ones are a threat to our
survival; so first the threat they pose must be eliminated. If they themselves
have not been eliminated in that process, based on why they had become threats,
we might have reason to be merciful and gentle - or not. But that is a minor
matter compared to eliminating the threat in the first place.

Not to judge Hitler? He caused many people to suffer, and the people he caused
to suffer were innocent people, and therefore I care about them. That is all
that matters. What garbage was in his mind doesn't, except insofar as a study
thereof might be useful for purposes of prophylaxis - preventing anyone else
from falling for it again.

John Savard