The Math Forum

Topic: An infinite sum is NOT a limit and 0.333... is not well defined
as 1/3.

Replies: 3   Last Post: Oct 7, 2017 12:03 PM

Markus Klyver

Re: An infinite sum is NOT a limit and 0.333... is not well defined
as 1/3.

Den torsdag 5 oktober 2017 kl. 19:17:21 UTC+2 skrev John Gabriel:
> On Thursday, 5 October 2017 10:11:19 UTC-4, Markus Klyver wrote:
> > >
> > > as the SERIES. See, if I populate the subscript i, I get:
> > >
> > > a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + ...
> > >
> > > which is what you have below.

> > > a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + ... = Lim ? (a_i) from i=0 to n as n approaches ?.

> > > So is 0.abcd... indeed 1/3 if anyone is stupid enough to define it that way.

> > > It is either an infinite sum or a limit but NOT both. Of course it is strictly speaking a FINITE SERIES because there is no such thing as an INFINITE SERIES.

> > > Agreed.
> > >
> > > a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + ... is a FINITE SERIES that consists of a partial sum with an ellipsis following it. The ellipsis indicates that if an index is given, the corresponding term can be determined.

> > > Repeating a lie won't make it seem to be true. Chuckle.

> > > But if infinite sums are limits, then you are saying:
> > >
> > > "All limits are defined as limits of finite sums"
> > >
> > > Which is nonsense.

> > > But if you can't add an infinite amount of terms, then how do you get to represent all mythical "real" numbers as infinite strings of decimals? Chuckle.
> > >
> > > How do you get 0.333... or 0.999... or 3.14159... or any one of the other infinite strings? See what a fucking moron you are?

> > > Which is why Euler defined S = Lim S

> > > All sequences are derived from series. Yes.

> > > Wrong. ALL Cauchy sequences without any exception converge to some limit.

> > > Nonsense. In the case of "real numbers", you don't even have a structure to converge to because there are no real numbers and you are using a Cauchy sequence of rationals which you then flippantly call part of an equivalence class.

> > > Wrong. All limit definitions require prior knowledge of the limit. This is especially true in the case of the derivative.

> > > Wrong.

> > > Yes, you do! All the sequences of an equivalent Cauchy sequence have one thing in common - the limit.

> > An infinite series *is* a limit. Per definition.

> Of course per definition - an ill-formed definition S = Lim S as I have explained to you over and over again.
>
> But in fact, a SERIES is not the same as a LIMIT. You defining an apple to be an orange, does not make the apple an orange. Do you understand this? It seems to me that you are blinding yourself because you know that once you admit this error, all your mythmatics falls apart - calculus, set theory, real analysis. And of course this is my goal - to destroy the rot you and other fools have built. It needs to go because I say so and I am infinitely more intelligent than ALL of you combined. I AM the greatest mathematician alive today. That is not even questionable any longer. Three words are the clue: The New Calculus.

> [...]

And you keep stating "S = Lim S". I honestly don't know what you mean by it, because it's so abusive and ambiguous. Is S a space? A sequence? A number? What does Lim mean? Is it a functional? Some other undefined thing? You haven't explained any of this.

A series IS a limit, because we define a series as a limit. You haven't explained why we can't make a such definition. We define the value of the series as the limit of its partial sums. Note that the series IS NOT its partial sums. It's the limit of its partial sums.

So S = \lim_{n \to \infty} S(n).

where S is the value of the series and S(n) the nth partial sum.

This is NOT the same as So S = \lim_{n \to \infty} S, which you seem to believe.

And no, we don't need to know how to calculate limits in order to define them. And we don't need to know what the 568458678677547866785676746665443343437886878467th prime is in order to define p as the 568458678677547866785676746665443343437886878467th prime. This is ridiculous. We are not defining some natural number p to be the 568458678677547866785676746665443343437886878467th prime. We are defining p TO BE the 568458678677547866785676746665443343437886878467th prime.

If I let z = x + y, do I need to know how to calculate x and y in order to have z well-defined? No, I only need to know x and y both exist in a sense addition is well-defined between them. I can define p to be the 568458678677547866785676746665443343437886878467th prime, and I can define a limit without knowing how to calculate either of them. I can define L to BE a limit. I don't say, "take this real number L and now it's a limit". I say: "if there is a real number ? which we call call L ? that satisfies the limit definition, I am going to call it the limit".

How is any of this so hard for you to understand?