The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

FromTheRafters

netzweltler wrote :
> Am Samstag, 7. Oktober 2017 01:42:15 UTC+2 schrieb Jim Burns:
>> On 10/6/2017 6:03 AM, netzweltler wrote:

>>> Let's say I agree. Doesn't mean that it is obvious to me
>>> what *you* are doing.

>> Great. Let's say you agree. Will you stop saying that
>> "0.999... means infinitely many commands"?

> No. Because it is not obvious to me why the equation
> 0.999... = 0.9 + 0.09 + 0.009 + ...
> should be wrong.

It's not wrong. The first one is a representation of the number one.
The second is a representation of the number one. Two things equal to
the same thing are equal to each other.

[...]

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...