The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

Jim Burns

= 0.333...

On 10/9/2017 3:58 AM, netzweltler wrote:

> I'm going to be charitable and assume that you didn't get my
> argument. 1 and 2 is to the right of all of the segments
> ([1-1/10^(n-1), 1-1/10^n])n?N, 0.999... is not.

Is 0.999... =< 0.9 ? No, because 0.99
Is 0.999... =< 0.99 ? No, because 0.999
Is 0.999... =< 0.999 ? No, because 0.9999

If 0.999... has a value, that value is not less than 1.

By a separate argument, if 0.999... has a value,
that value is not larger than 1.

If you say that 0.999... has a value, that value is 1.

If you _don't_ say that 0.999... has a value, then you have
not defined 0.999... , and you should stop saying that
0.999... means infinitely many commands, not even for
_what you mean_ because there _is no_ "what you mean".

Anyway, whatever it is you mean or don't mean is beside the
point, which is that _the standard meaning_ of 0.999...
does not mean infinitely many commands.

This is actually a better reason to stop saying that,
but it looked for a moment as though you intended your
infinite sum 0.9 + 0.09 + 0.009 + ... to mean something.
I just wanted to point out that, if it means something,
it means 1.

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
Guest