The Math Forum

Topic: High School Geometry
Replies: 2   Last Post: May 3, 1993 10:51 AM

Claire Groden

Re: High School Geometry

In article <1qmavj$3qn@forum.swarthmore.edu> Leon Story <lee@bostech.com>
writes:
> Bret Jolly discusses the foundations for high school plane geometry:

> I'd suggest a progression:
> . abstract axiomatics (perhaps basic group theory?) leading into
> "high school algebra"
> . plane geometry
> . plane trigonometry (a natural extension of plane geometry,
> and essential to analysis/calculus; taught even worse than
> plane geometry!)
> . more serious algebra developed axiomatically, but nothing
> conceptually difficult: include a bit on rings, fields,
> and the "fundamental theorem"
> . axiomatic development of metric space and point set topology
> (not just for the accelerated honors calculus crowd)
> . one-dimensional (or should I say two?) integration and differentiation
> . THEN SOLID GEOMETRY, placed at the right point in the curriculum
> to motivate...

I'VE BEEN RETHINKING THIS SOLID GEOMETRY BUSINESS. I'VE RECENTLY WORKED WITH A
FIFTH GRADE TEACHER WHO WAS DOING A UNIT ON AREA. WHEN SHE ASKED THE STUDENTS
TO EXPLAIN WHAT AREA WAS, THEY CONTINUALLY SHIFTED INTO VOLUME. THEY SEEMED TO
FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE THINKING ABOUT "FILLING UP" IN 3 DIMENSIONS. AND AFTER
ALL, THEY LIVE IN A 3D WORLD. IV'E BEEN THINKING THAT MY BIAS IS TO THINK THAT
KIDS WILL UNDERSTAND 2D MORE EASILY THAN 3D BECAUSE I VIEW IT 2D AS SIMPLER,
BUT MAYBE THAT'S NOT THE CASE. MAYBE THE ORDER OF PROGRESSION SHOULD BBEGIN
WITH 3D.

Claire Groden BBN Systems and Technologies cgroden@bbn.com