Topic: Summer '96 Institute: Middle School Working Group
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jul 19, 1996 3:55 AM

Suzanne Alejandre

Re: Spanish Lo Shu

Lou's point is well taken. In quoting the translator I was trying
to show what her point of view was ... it really isn't my point of
view (which perhaps I didn't really clarify). As Lou states, the
translators who are native speakers of both English and Spanish
would be difficult to find. Then throw in the thoughts that that
person should be familiar with mathematical concepts in both
languages
and writers and you probably would have no translations! :)

My hope is that translations will be done which allow more access
to students who can read Spanish ... maybe as the "stories" or
directions are read there will be feedback that improves the
translations. So, the Emperor Yu story in Spanish is up ... and
the revisions will begin!

Suzanne

In article <9607160521.AA22423@talmanl.mscd.edu>, Lou Talman
(me@talmanl.mscd.edu) wrote:
>Suzanne Alejandre wrote:
>

>> only native speakers should do translations
>
>(quoting a translator as she did so).
>
>An interesting idea. Native speaker of *which language*? If only
>one of the two, why the bias? If both, then translators are gonna be
>hard to find.
>
>--Lou Talman
> Department of Mathematical & Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State College of Denver

Date Subject Author
7/15/96
Read Summer '96 Institute: Middle School Working Group
Sandy Sherman
7/15/96
Read Middle School Activities - Things we're doing (Second Try!)
Suzanne Alejandre
7/15/96
Read Middle School Activities - Things we're doing:
Eric Sasson
7/15/96
Read Middle School
Donald W. Smith
7/15/96
Read Middle School Activities - Things we're doing:
Eric Sasson
7/15/96
Read Spanish Lo Shu
Sarah Seastone
7/15/96
Read Re: Middle School: Geometry/Math Concepts Using Art/Draw Programs
Anne Wheelock
7/15/96
Read Re: Spanish Lo Shu
Cynthia Lanius
7/15/96
Read Middle School: Geometry/Math Concepts Using Art/Draw Programs
Denise Miller
7/15/96
Read Re: Middle School
Suzanne Alejandre
7/15/96
Read Re: Spanish Lo Shu
Allen Adler
7/15/96
Read Re: Spanish Lo Shu
Suzanne Alejandre
7/15/96
Read Re: Spanish Lo Shu
Suzanne Alejandre
7/15/96
Read Re: Spanish Lo Shu
Lou Talman
7/15/96
Read Re: Re: Spanish Lo Shu
Anne D. Sandler
7/16/96
Read math and language arts
Allen Adler
7/16/96
Read Middle School
Donald W. Smith
7/16/96
Read Re: Re: Spanish Lo Shu
Suzanne Alejandre
7/16/96
Read Middle School Activities - Things we're doing:
Eric Sasson
7/16/96
Read Re: Spanish Lo Shu
Suzanne Alejandre
7/16/96
Read Middle School Activities - Things we're doing:
Eric Sasson
7/17/96
Read Re: Middle School Activities - Things we're doing:
Jean Abel
7/17/96
Read Re: Middle School Activities - Things we're doing:
Suzanne Alejandre
7/17/96
Read Middle School: Tessellations - Historical and Geographical Connections
David Grant
7/18/96
Read Middle School
Donald W. Smith
7/18/96
Read Re: Middle School: Tessellations - Historical and Geographical Connections
Suzanne Alejandre
7/18/96
Read Re: Middle School
Suzanne Alejandre
7/18/96
Read Middle School Activities - We need help with:
Eric Sasson
7/18/96
Read Re: Middle School Activities - We need help with:
Sarah Seastone
7/19/96
Read Middle School: Re Dialogue onsite & online
Denise Miller