Topic: to prove: rays bisecting 3 angles of a triangle meet at a single point
Replies: 6   Last Post: Feb 10, 1999 10:10 AM

Michael Keyton

Re: to prove: rays bisecting 3 angles of a triangle meet at a single point

Eileen,

This is a nice property of a triangle.

Do you know a property about how to tell if a point lies on the bisector
of an angle, or not?

If you know this theorem, apply it to two of the bisectors, in particular
their intersection, and then argue that it is on the other bisector. And
since an angle can only have one bisector, then the three meet at a point
(the formal word for this phenomenon is "concurrent" and this point of
concurrency is called the "incenter". It is one of over 100 centers of a
triangle.

Michael Keyton