The Math Forum

Topic: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Replies: 24   Last Post: Nov 10, 1998 12:19 AM

John Conway

Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Russell Towle wrote:

> John, what intrigues me about this, is, do such patterns operate in higher
> spaces? Do we see such behavior in tetrahedra, for instance, with a regular
> Platonic tetrahedron arising from the trisection or quadrisection of a
> solid angle?

Let me rather obliquely say that I have long wondered whether the
original Morley theorem is itself in some sense 3-dimensional, since its
figure is topologically a Schlegel diagram of an octahedron.

But as to a version for tetrahedra, I can't think of any reasonable
type of solid-angle quadrisection that could even take part in a
meaningful statement, let alone a true one! [Let me say that although
lots of triangle-geometry does admit extensions to tetrahedra, there's
lots that doesn't even among the very simple stuff - for instance the
general tetrahedron doesn't have an orthocenter.]

Your question has suddenly produced an interesting thought - maybe
the 3D version involves a Schlegel diagram for the orthoplex
(my preferred name for the cross-polytope) in which the vertex figures
at the vertices of the outer tetrahedron are versions of the Morley figure?
I don't think it can work for a Euclidean tetrahedron, because there
doesn't seem to be a spherical version of Morley; but it could conceivably
work for an ideal tetrahedron in hyperbolic space.

JHC

Date Subject Author
9/12/98
Read A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Den Roussel
9/12/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/13/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Larry Cusick
10/27/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/13/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
steve sigur
9/14/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Richard Guy
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Richard Guy
9/15/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Richard Guy
9/16/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Floor van Lamoen
9/16/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Floor van Lamoen
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Floor van Lamoen
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Russell Towle
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Russell Towle
9/17/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Douglas J. Zare
9/19/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Russell Towle
9/20/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/20/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
John Conway
9/18/98
Read Re: A Theorem concerning the Trisectors of a Triangle
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
11/10/98