Topic: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Replies: 75   Last Post: Dec 27, 1996 8:50 PM

Herman Rubin

Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)

In article <32ACBCF8.7DE1@sgi.com>, Reuel Nash <reuel@sgi.com> wrote:
>Herman Rubin wrote:

>> In article <58h510$i4m@suba01.suba.com>,
>> Stan Hollenbeck <chgostan@suba.com> wrote:

>> >Michael Hodges (mwhodges@msn.com) wrote:

>Interesting. This last statement seems to me to be in direct conflict
>with
>a paper by Frederick Mosteller, et al. http://www.amacad.org/coop2.html

>Is "skill grouping" about the same as "ability grouping"?

> ABSTRACT
>Extensive experimentation on cooperative learning in language, reading,
>and mathematics compares the achievement gains of small teams of
>students helping one another with gains of students participating in
>traditional whole-class instruction. Averaged over 51 comparisons with
>sample sizes of 300 or more, the effect sizes averaged .17. This is
>less than the .25 achieved by the class-size reduction of one-third in
>the Tennessee investigations and more than the .00 achieved in skill
>grouping.

>... and an excerpt:

>In cooperative learning, students in a class are assigned to
>heterogeneous groups of 4 or 5 students called teams. A team works
>together, helping one another, to learn the assigned material. Each
>member must learn what is taught. After the material is learned, teams
>are scored. Various scoring schemes have been tried including
>individual scoring or team scoring and other schemes in between. The
>method seems appropriate for all school subjects and it offers a means
>of learning to think.

We are still comparing with the teaching in heterogeneous classes.

We are still comparing with classes where the best students are not
given essentially more material than the worst.

The weaker members of the teams will learn more; they have another
teacher. Notice that the effect was less than that achieved by
class size reduction.

As for skill grouping, this is NOT the same as ability grouping, and
the teachers have to be prepared to teach differently to the various groups.

The major effect would not be on the proportion of a fixed set of
questions answered correctly, but on how much is learned to a fair
degree, and especially how much is understood. Few teachers at any
level seem aware of the difference between regurgitation and
understanding; I wonder how many multiple choice tests were used
in the study. They can sometimes be somewhat reasonable, but only
if nobody knows they will be used.

--
Of course I speak only for myself. But you are welcome to join me.

hrubin@stat.purdue.edu Phone: (317)494-6054 FAX: (317)494-0558

Date Subject Author
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
kathyd@microserve.net
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Michael Hodges
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Stan Hollenbeck
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Otava
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
J. Clarke
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/17/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/21/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/22/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/23/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/24/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/27/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Philip Cain
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Donna Mettler
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Brian M. Scott
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Shyang Hwang
12/19/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Carol
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
JS
12/20/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Redyarrow
12/21/96
[...]
sockeye
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Paul MacFarlane
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Powell Jay
12/13/96