The Math Forum

Topic: teaching programming
Replies: 7   Last Post: Aug 27, 2000 10:14 PM

Dave Moore

Re: teaching programming

Alternatively, you could go with Java. It is very much like C++ syntax, covers
the same OO concepts, is in real world demand, and has the advantage that it
can be taught on just about any machine with free software. In most public
schools, "FREE" is a major ++ (pun intended).

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:25:51 GMT, "abe kohen" <abekohen@cloud9.net> wrote:

>This is quite interesting. Why not teach C++, rather than Lisp? Scheme is an
>interesting variant of Lisp, as are Common Lisp, MacLisp, etc. But C++ is
>used in the "real world." In the 80s they used to teach Pascal in college
>rather than C, with the argument that Pascal was a more pure langauage and
>it taught you the "correct" CS concepts. But you couldn't find a JOB that
>required Pascal programming, and Pascal was not portable. Of course at MIT,
>they used Scheme. But to teach high school programming - not a Computer
>Science class - but a programming class wouldn't C++ be more useful? And the
>kids in high school can handle C++ a lot better than an adult who was
>schooled in the older languages.
>
>Abe
>
>And the Marxism link on your Web Page?
>
>"Brian Harvey" <bh@anarres.CS.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message

>> jeremyd2554@my-deja.com writes:
>> >Does anyone have links to any information or experiences
>> >of teaching functional programming at school level?

>> Check out www.schemers.com for a Scheme-based curriculum for high school
>> students with a lot of experience behind it.
>>
>> Also check out my web page
>> www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh
>> for both Scheme-based and Logo-based texts suitable for teenagers.
>> I've taught both a lot and would be happy to correspond.
>>
>> [posted and mailed]

PGP key available from "http://users.erols.com/moore-cain/"

Dave Moore

submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math@sd28.bc.ca