Topic: Need help on this interesting fact
Replies: 3   Last Post: Mar 14, 2005 10:50 PM

Kevin Karplus

Re: Need help on this interesting fact

In article <sgvapvckrjts28upircgte0te8n5k72jv5@4ax.com>, MB wrote:
> (pi^4 + pi^5)^(1/6) = e
>
> This piqued my curiosity. I confirmed the truism on my calculator, but I
> can't seem to prove it.
>
> Can someone supply the proof or give me some hints?

Nope, it isn't true. It is a good approximation, but not exact.

According to my (HP) calculator, the numbers are only the same to
about 8 digits. I suspect that manufacturers who use lower precision
or are sloppier about carrying guard digits make calculators that
can't distinguish them.

e approx 2.71828182846
(pi^4+pi^5)^(1/6) approx 2.71828180862

Using another calculation (the gnuplot program) I get
e approx 2.71828182845905
(pi^4+pi^5)^(1/6) approx 2.71828180861191

Again, the calculations indicate that the numbers agree to only 8 places.

--
Kevin Karplus karplus@soe.ucsc.edu http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Professor of Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Cruz