Replies: 25   Last Post: Jul 19, 2000 9:37 PM

MANN@vms.huji.ac.il

Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Don Cook wrote:

> Dear Julio,
>
> What is the story?
>
> In Carl Boyer's 2nd Edition of "History of Mathematics", Wiley, 1991,
> pg. 420:
> "... Jean Bernoulli signed a pact under which, in return for a regular
> salary, he agreed to send L'Hospital his discoveries in mathematics,
> to be used as the marquis wished."
> The story is unreferenced.
>
> Peace,
>
> Don Cook
>
> P.S. I have just read Avinoam Mann's letter with the same quote. Still, what
> is the correct story?

Boyer mentions letters between L'Hospital and Bernoulli. So does
Coolidge, in _The mathematics of great amateurs_, though Coolidge does
not mention any commercial aspect. Moreover, from Coolidge's quotes it
seems that the letters do not specifically say that B. discovered
`L'Hospital's rule_', but they suggest it. So it appears that to decide
matters one has to go back to the correspondence. Two books are mentioned:
O.J.Rebel, Der Briefwechsel zwischen Johan Bernoulli und den Marquis
L'Hospital, Bottrop i.w. 1934; Coolidge refers to pp. 147-8, 161, 163;
and O.Spiess (editor), Der Briefwechsel von Johann Bernoulli, vol. 1,
Basel, Birkhaeuser 1955.

Avinoam Mann

Date Subject Author
3/16/00
Read [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Andrew Bowering
3/18/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
James A Landau
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
David Fowler
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Johnsonart@aol.com
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Ralph A. Raimi
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
3/20/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
RJR_McWhinnie
3/20/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Don Cook
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
3/22/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Michael S. Mahoney
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
GARCIADIEGO DANTAN ALEJANDRO
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Alfred Ross
3/23/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Udai Venedem
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
6/21/00
Read Re: [HM] Historia Matematica: our mailing list
Peter Mitchell
7/17/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Barry Cipra
7/17/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
7/19/00
Read [HM] Benford's Law
Ralph A. Raimi