Topic: math query
Replies: 10   Last Post: Oct 26, 1995 6:40 PM

Robert Goulding

Re: math query

There is another puzzle: about the Latin words for 18 and 19 - duodeviginti
(two from twenty) and undeviginti (one from twenty), a pattern repeated
for 28,29,38,39 etc. As far as I know this terminology long predates the
use of subtractive notation in Roman numerals; e.g. XIX. Does this
pattern appear in any other languages? Further also to the discussion of
different base systems, I believe that in all Saxon languages 'hundred'
originally had the meaning 120.
Robert Goulding.
Warburg Institute, London.