Topic: Quadratic Equations
Replies: 6   Last Post: Apr 10, 1996 11:09 AM

F. Alexander Norman

Re: Quadratic Equations

My understanding is that it is related to the notion of "quadrature",
meaning to turn into a square (four-sided). For if x represents a linear
segment then x^2 should be represented by a quadrangular region.
I'm sure others will provide more detail and correct me if I'm wrong.

x x^2
| |
| |
| |