Topic: Fermath's sake
Replies: 19   Last Post: Nov 12, 1997 11:27 PM

Calvin Jongsma

Natural Numbers (Was: Fermath's sake)

First a comment on subject headings. Later on when I look through my
files (or the archives, I'm never going to know that "Fermath's sake"
contains a discussion of what counts as a natural number. Hence my
change of the topic heading. If the old topic is listed behind the
first such change, threads should still be visible, shouldn't they?

Now for the topic: what counts as a natural number, taking a more
historical perspective.

The Greeks start with 2, as Sam Kutler observed.

Dedekind starts with 1, as does Peano. Since they were responsible
for formalizing the natural numbers, we might follow their lead and
do likewise.

John Conway notes that it is more "natural" to start with 0, and that
he has done so since the 60s. Phil Parker says the same, noting its
connection with SMSG textbooks (also the 60s). This probably
coincides with New Math trends generally, where set theory was taken
as the foundation for arithmetic.

My conjecture, therefore, is that it was the set theoretic
cardinality approach to natural numbers (Cantor? Zermelo? von
Neumann?) that switched (many of us) to taking the natural numbers as
starting with 0: it's the cardinality of the empty set.

Footnote: Dedekind takes a set theoretic approach in 1889, but seems
not to consider the empty set. When did this first enter set theory?
Is it already in Cantor?