Topic: Re: Four-Color Problem--computer-based proofs
Replies: 2   Last Post: Feb 8, 1999 6:02 PM

Michael Deakin

Re: Four-Color Problem--computer-based proofs

A propos of the discussion on computer proofs, let me add a small
footnote.

The "Kiss Precise" or "4-Circles Theorem" concerns 4 circles each
tangent to the other 3. Its explicit statement occurs 1st in
Descartes, but it is implicit in earlier work and has been
rediscovered several times since, notably by Solly the Nobel
Prize-winning chemist who announced it in verse in "Nature" (June 20,
1936) and gave it the name "Kiss Precise".

Let Ci be te curvature of the ith circle. Then the theorem states:

(C1+C2+C3+C4)^2=2(C1^2+C2^2+C3^2+C4^2).

It is now a simple matter to prove this by computer means.

If the four centres are all joined, 4 triangles result, of which the
largest has an area equal to the sum of the other 3.

Use Heron's formula to express this fact and then clear the resulting
equation of square roots. This gives a 16th degree polynomial, and
this may be factored to give (after a little human interpretation)
the result.

This proof was first implemented by my former colleague Colin
McIntosh using MAPLE. Even back then (1991) the computer time was
under 3 minutes. Nowadays it wopuld be negligible.

Mike Deakin