The Math Forum

Topic: parent's messages
Replies: 65   Last Post: Aug 29, 1998 10:45 AM

Tad Watanabe

Re: parent's messages

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Andre TOOM wrote:

> For me it was the most difficult since I came to USA.
> Most of my present students are very poor in arithmetics.
> Suppose you are escorting a blind person along a street.
> You have to notice a lot of things you did not care before:
> every footstep, every stone, every crack in the pavement
> needs special attention. Same with my students: I have to
> explain every simple arithmetical and algebraical action.
> Same about simple facts, such as the formula for perimeter
> and area of a rectangle, what is a percentage, velocity equals
> distance divided by time, there are 60 minutes in an hour...
> To make a long story short, it took 3 years of me to learn to
> accomplish (2) when teaching `college algebra' to students I have.

Do you think your students, once they complete your course, maintain
their 'understanding'?

=== snip! ===

> Look at the pages 132-133 of `Curriculum and Evaluation Standards'.
> There is a story about a bank deposit. Why did the authors choose
> a bank for such a prominent place in the book? Because nobody can
> say `why should I care about it...' - everybody cares about his
> bank account. But the authors did not even care to mention that
> there is such a thing as a geometrical progression in general,
> with its definition and properties which can be deduced from it!
> These are really acorns without the oak! The NCTM "standards"
> are based on the assumption that humans are pigs under the oak.

Is your problem the fact they didn't mention that the same idea can be
discussed using geometric progressions? Or is it the fact that they
didn't use geometric progressions instead of the bank example? Does the
mathematics involved lose value when we use 'real-life' situations which
can be solved mathematically? [I think I shared with you that I'm not
personally a fan of the term 'real-life' before.] Is there an occasion
where this type of 'real-life' discussion is more appropriate than more
'abstract' dicussion?

> > > Pay attention that Prof. Jacobs is against relating to
> > > mathematics as an abstract science! This does not concerns her!

> > I think she was expressing the thinking of (some of) students.

> Exactly!!! That is my point. That is her image of students.
> My (and Vygotsky's) image is different.

But that is not what you wrote. You said that Prof. Jacobs is agains
relating mathematics as an abstract science.

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, Maryland

Date Subject Author
1/24/97
Read parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Lou Talman
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/25/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Presidential commission
ramserj@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/25/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Gary A. Wirsing
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Lutemann@aol.com
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
Francis M. Fennell
1/26/97
Read Re: Presidential commission
CHAPMAN@APSICC.APS.EDU
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Michael Paul Goldenberg
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/26/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/27/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Richard Fouchaux
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: parent's messages
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/28/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
8/27/98
Read math proofs
lavalle watson
8/29/98
Read product=lcm x gcd
harry sedinger
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Ed Dickey
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Jack Roach
1/30/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
W Gary Martin
1/29/97
Read Re: Proofs and mathematical structure
Tad Watanabe
1/28/97
Read Andre's interpretation of my words.
Judith E. Jacobs
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Andre TOOM
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
Ed Wall
1/28/97
Read Re: Andre's interpretation of my words.
W Gary Martin
2/1/97
Read Re: parent's messages
scott powell