Topic: diagraming sentences
Replies: 2   Last Post: Aug 1, 1995 5:04 PM

Ted Alper

Re: diagraming sentences

ckeg1159@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (claran einfeldt) writes:

>I can't help remember a quote from a friend that was taking a higher
>level Real Analysis class. She was studying to become a college
>professor. She came into my office following her class and we were
>discussing the usefulness of some of the higher level, more abstract
>math classes. I have never forgotten her final statement:

> "The only thing I will ever use this stuff for is to teach it to
>people who will never use it."

Perhaps she was unaware of the utility of "higher level Real Analysis"
-- or perhaps she was planning to do nothing but teach others who
would go on to do nothing but teach -- but otherwise I find the
statement unsupportable. Unless you have a 40 year research career
planned out in some mathematical backwater and vow *never* to touch a
measure or a linear operator, it's almost unimaginable that you won't
use this stuff.

This isn't to say there isn't a lot of mathematics studied, published,
and occasionally taught that isn't used -- but the usual foundations
of a math PhD program (at Stanford they are Real Analysis, Complex
Analysis and Algebra -- though the interpretation of these categories
is a little flexible) really do seem pretty fundamental to an awful
lot of applied and pure mathematics.

Ted Alper
alper@ockham.stanford.edu