Topic: Accessible problems
Replies: 5   Last Post: Apr 27, 1995 9:09 PM

Ronald A Ward

Re: Accessible problems

Ed,
How about the question: Are there infinitely many twin-prime pairs?
e.g., 3,5 5,7 11,13 17,19 ... [primes that differ by exactly 2]
As I recall, when you look at a table of primes, the farther out
you go, you always seem to find another twin-prime pair, so some have
conjectured that there are infinitely many. On the other hand, the pairs
appear to become more and more scarce, so some have conjectured that
eventually the pairs will "peter out."
I have checked with two number theorists who say that, as of
1994, this was still an unanswered question, so it probably still is!

Ron Ward/Western Washington U/Bellingham, WA 98225
ronaward@henson.cc.wwu.edu