Topic: Re: Scott, curriculum
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jul 9, 1995 10:45 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Scott, curriculum

On Sun, 9 Jul 1995, Chi-Tien Hsu wrote:

> >"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly" >
>
> Good spirit. But if you already know that it will be bad, why even do it?
> who will be the victims?

Once again, the point of this expression is not that one should do things
badly. It is that it is better to try and fail than to not try until
conditions are perfect. I don't think I can explicate this phrase much
further. However, as I find my patience wearing thin, I am reminded of
why I think I make a better mathematics teacher than I did an English
teacher. I have a lot of tolerance for misunderstanding in mathematics,
because I've experienced a great deal of it myself. It was far more
difficult for me to be patient with students who grew up in the same
country I did, seemingly with the same opportunities to read and use
English, and yet appeared to have little ability to write, speak, or read
with any degree of subtlety. Here's a thought: maybe non-native speakers
would, in general, make better English teachers?

Michael Paul Goldenberg
University of Michigan 310 E. Cross St.
4001 School of Education Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259 (313) 482-9585
(313) 747-2244 email: mikegold@umich.edu