Topic: group projects
Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 30, 1995 4:58 PM

Andre TOOM

Re: group projects

> Rex Boggs writes:
>

> >There are two issues - if the project is a group project, how do you stop
> >someone from riding the coattails of a more ambitious student? And if work
> >is done outside of class, how do you ensure that the work submitted by the
> >student is their own work?

> Isn't that amazing, how we put the need to assign a fair grade so far ahead
> of helping kids learn that we do stuff like that?

It is not just about grades. It is a quite appropriate concern
that everyone should learn and be able to do something.
According my experience, it is quite a real danger that some
members of the group will be happy to do all the project while
some others will be happy to let them do it.
In my classes of College Algebra I use something
intremediate. I invite four students to the blackboard, they
separate it into four parts and I give them four problems,
which differ only by some numerical parameter. For example:
perimeter of a rectangle equals 10 meters, area equals
1, 2, 3, 4 square meters. Find width and length. And, since
it is not a test, I allow all students to help each other.
Often some student stands up, goes to the board to point at
some mistake or help her or his classmate in another way.

Andrei Toom