Topic: Benchmarks
Replies: 8   Last Post: Mar 28, 1995 3:40 PM

Tad Watanabe

Re: Benchmarks

I would tend to agree with your colleague who feels oral counting
shouldn't be included as a benchmark. I would strongly suggest the works
by Steffe and his colleagues on children's counting. What seems to be
important is not whether or not children can count, but _what_ they are
counting when they count. Ability to produce number words in correct
sequence is necessary, but it does not necessarily tell you much about
the child's number sense.

I've seen many children who can "count by 10's" to produce the sequence,
"10, 20, 30, ..." who still have to count by 1 to answer what is 10 more
than 13, for example. So, what does the children's ability to "count by
10's" tell us in this case?

Another example. Some time I ask children, with longs (10) from the base
10 blocks, and ask how many unit there are. I will put something like 6
longs and ask how many? Many children can answer that easily. Then I
add one more and ask how many again. Again, relatively easy question.
But, when I add one more after 100 (most children can answer 100 easily,
too), a good number of kids say "200" instead of 110.

Anyway, although the ability to produce numer words in a correct sequence
is important, I'm not sure if it is a "benchmark" of the child's
mathematical development.

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, MD 21204