Topic: average temperature
Replies: 7   Last Post: May 23, 1995 12:56 PM

David E. Thomas

Re: average temperature

Tad
To follow up on what Susan said, if f(t) is a function giving the
temperature at any time t, then the average temperature over a period
from a to b would be the integral of f(t) from a to b divided by the
difference b-a. It would be an interesting problem to take a set of
temperature readings e.g. every hour or every half-hour, use a numerical
method like the trapezoid rule or Simpson's rule and see how close that
value is to the offical method of taking the average of the high and the
low. Sounds like a good question or project for a calculus class.

Dr. David Thomas Centenary College of Louisiana
Department of Mathematics P. O. Box 41188
thomas@beta.centenary.edu Shreveport, LA 71134-1188
voice 318 - 869 - 5035 fax 318 - 869 - 5026