Topic: Count all the votes
Replies: 11   Last Post: Nov 15, 2000 11:56 PM

karen jones

Re: Count all the votes

Victor Steinbok wrote:

> <I have deleted all but Greg Goodknight and Gerald Von Korff email
> addresses from the CC list>
>
> Greg wrote:
>

> > How many times should each vote be counted? Every Florida precinct has had
> > at least two full counts; some have already been counted four times.

> Curiously, each time the stack was recounted, new votes were discovered.
> Apparently some of these ballots have NOT been counted four times,
> otherwise the count would not have changed.
>

> > How has it been proven that the hand count is more accurate than the machine
> > count when the vote is contained on a paper punch card with no particular
> > features?

> Having witnessed Greg Goodknight shill out propaganda of his own, why am
> not surprised to find him swallowing the Republican Party absurd
> propaganda? The idiocy of this question and its underlying assumption
> can be demonstrated very easily: remember Minnesota? remember New York?
> remember Indiana? remember Scotland? I am sure there were many more
> machine counting fiascoes (Harcourt paid back California how many
> millions of dollars for their testing errors?), but these four in
> particular stand out as monuments to the dangers of standardized testing
> and machine tabulations of scores. It is ironic that there is a link
> between Bush's stance on standardized testing and his stance on the vote
> recount (neither one is really Bush, but who is counting?!)
>
> Greg, don't forget that the machines are designed by humans, programmed
> by humans and tuned and cleaned by humans. If errors are made along the
> way in machine design and maintenance, the result is an error of far
> greater proportion than anything a single manual counter can create.
> Besides, what would the "Founding Fathers" say? Did THEY have computers
> to tabulate their votes? (BTW, New Hampshire counts ALL its votes by
> hand and it has done so for the past century.)
>
> VS-)

Victor, Jerry, et. al.,

Is the name of this forum "mathforum" or "politicalforum"? Is it not
bad enough that our beliefs about what is right for our kids regarding
math differs so fundamentally? Must you all make the divide so much
deeper and wider that all hopes of discourse that could lead to any kind
of progress or understanding are dashed?

Political beliefs run far deeper than whether ballots should be
recounted, how to do so, and, by the way, where do you stop? You all
know that the "chad challenged" live in only heavily democratic
counties. Or do they? This is nothing short of partisan shrewdness.
Whether I like it or not, I tip my hat to it because of its sheer
brilliance. However, your belief as to whether this is constitutional
or not depends on your fundamental belief as to what has and will make
America great. That is the essence of our political divide, or at least
it should be.

You guys cannot agree on what math will serve our children the best,
much less be civil about it . How could any of you hope to offer
discourse about politics that is anything but caustic and meaningless?
I am sure that we have both sides (or more) of the political spectrum
represented on this list. Don't give our divide yet another dimension
that could further compromise our ability to further our original
purpose.

Karen Jones-Budd