The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math

Topic: Name this shape?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 18, 1996 2:03 AM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View  
Michael Slavutin

Posts: 7
Registered: 12/12/04
Re: Name this shape?
Posted: Jun 18, 1996 2:03 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

In article <> (Philip Kilby) writes:
>A little taxonomy:
>Q1: What is the name given to the shape formed by
> the intersection of two circles?
> (Nothing fancy: circles are same radius, and
> separated by more than one radius but less
> than two)

Just a common sense, without any dictionary ( so, I can be
mistaken ) :

This is a lens

>Q2: What is the name of the solid formed by rotating
> this shape about its long axis?

And this is, probably, a spindle

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2017. All Rights Reserved.