Topic: another MuPAD question
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 6, 1996 5:50 AM

Chris Hecker

Re: another MuPAD question

zimmerma@leibniz.loria.fr (Paul Zimmermann) writes:
>This is because the result of 'Factor' is not completely evaluated.
>Otherwise for some domains like DOM_POLY which are automatically
>expanded, the user could not see the factorization:

Ah, that sort of makes sense. Thanks!

>This is because 'simplify' does not cancel denominators by default in
>version 1.2.9a. Use 'normal' instead. In version 1.3 'simplify' will
>call 'normal'.

This brings up a question: how do I know which functions to call to
simplify something? If you look at some of the examples that come with
MuPAD (specifically the Webster tests) you'll see stuff like
combine(expand(normal(combine(....)))); how is a user supposed to know
which to call?

It gets even worse with trig functions...I entered that huge trig mess
from the guy's Maple post this week to see how MuPAD would do, and it
simplified it a bit, but couldn't get as far as the other person's post
for Mathematica 3.0's FullSimplify.

Chris