The Math Forum

Topic: Q: Engineering or Math?
Replies: 33   Last Post: Nov 24, 1997 4:42 PM

Louis M. Pecora

Re: Q: Engineering or Math?

In article <64flg7$n5t$1@nntp.ucs.ubc.ca>, israel@math.ubc.ca (Robert
Israel) wrote:

> My impression is that the trend in engineering education, at least in some
> places, is to a decreased emphasis on mathematics. Engineers want to learn
> "just the part that is useful to us and not one bit extra", which may
> reduce to "which button to push". Of course there is the danger that
> the buttons may change in a couple of years, as well as the problem of
> who is going to design the next generation of buttons. It's almost certain
> that there are many areas of math that don't seem applicable right now but
> will turn out to be applicable in the future. What you should look for
> is a mathematical education that is broad enough that you will be able to
> learn this new material when it does become useful to you. Often what's
> important to learn is not the specific content of a course but the
> "mathematical maturity" it provides, the ability to look at a problem
> from a mathematical point of view, to identify the features that may be
> amenable to mathematical analysis, etc.

Agreed. I have been to conferences where I've heard EE people talk
seriously about only teaching digital circuitry and dropping any analog
material from the curriculum. They were serious -- even though in the end
everything is analog and you can't avoid that if you want to create new
circuitry from new materials.

--
Louis M. Pecora
pecora@zoltar.nrl.navy.mil

Date Subject Author
11/12/97
Read Q: Engineering or Math?
kdieudonX@spacey.net
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Ken Davis
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Chris Griffin
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Robert Israel
11/18/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Louis M. Pecora
11/18/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Hanspeter Schmid
11/18/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Frank Miles
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Hanspeter Schmid
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
John van Veen
11/22/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Edward leibnitz
11/23/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Terry Moore
11/19/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
PeterK@_delete_mvt.ie
11/19/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Frank Miles
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Hanspeter Schmid
11/21/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
nobody@nowhere.on.ca
11/20/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Alan J. Livingston
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Tom Bryan
Sam @ The NIMP Team
11/13/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Balden, Ron
11/14/97
Read Re: Engineering or Math?
Rui Santos
11/14/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
cbarker
11/15/97
Read Re: Engineering or Math?
Sergio Gonzalez Lopez
11/17/97
Read Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Herman Rubin
11/19/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Elvis Presley
11/20/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Herman Rubin
11/22/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Elvis Presley
11/24/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Herman Rubin
11/24/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Milo Gardner
11/24/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Jim Carr
11/19/97
Read Re: Teaching of math Was: Re: Engineering or Math?
Pertti Lounesto
11/15/97
Read Re: Q: Engineering or Math?
Perry W. Stout