Topic: German words for "number"
Replies: 25   Last Post: Feb 25, 1999 7:55 AM

Victor Eijkhout

Re: German words for "number"

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:

> In article <36CB8C36.DF4@uwec.edu> shoematr@uwec.edu writes:
> > At least two words in the German language translate the English word
> > "number": Zahl and Nummer. Can someone please tell me what is the
> > distinction between them?

> Dutch has the same: "getal" and "nummer".

Where (imho) "tal" (and hence presumable "Zahl" which has the same Latin
root -- is there really no English word from that root? Yup. Just thought
of one: "tally".) have the connotation of giving the number
of elements in some set.

So: Zahl == cardinal, Nummer = ordinal.

Does that sound reasonable to a German speaker?

--
Victor Eijkhout
"[A] man was excluded from the jury after asking the judge to tell him the

Date Subject Author
2/17/99
Read German words for "number"
Ted R Shoemaker
2/17/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Benjamin P. Carter
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Helmut Richter
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Ingrid Voigt
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Helmut Zeisel
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Dik T. Winter
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Victor Eijkhout
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Helmut Zeisel
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
David Seaman
2/19/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Brian M. Scott
2/20/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
G. A. Edgar
2/20/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Brian M. Scott
2/21/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Paul Miller
2/21/99
Read Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Benjamin P. Carter
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Robin Chapman
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Jake Wildstrom
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Steven Pigeon
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Steve Leibel
2/22/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Edward C. Hook
2/22/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
2/25/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Timothy Murphy
2/22/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Keith Ellul
2/22/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Keith Ramsay