Topic: German words for "number"
Replies: 25   Last Post: Feb 25, 1999 7:55 AM

Paul Miller

Re: German words for "number"

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:50:23 GMT, scott@math.csuohio.edu (Brian M. Scott) wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 07:22:43 -0500, "G. A. Edgar"
><edgar@math.ohio-state.edu.nospam> wrote:
>

>>The German verb ``z\"ahlen'' means ``to count''. Perhaps Zahl is
>>a counting number.

>In fact German <zaehlen> 'to count' is cognate with English 'to tell';
>the connection is clearest if one looks at the less familiar meaning
>'to enumerate', as in 'to tell one's beads'. From a purely
>etymological point of view <Zahl> ought indeed to be a counting
>number, but of course that has no bearing on actual current usage.

It is, in at least one sense: the symbol Z for the integers comes directly from
German die Zahlen. While most people don't use negative numbers as 'counting
numbers', I suppose this is the usage most related to its etymological origins.

Date Subject Author
2/17/99
Read German words for "number"
Ted R Shoemaker
2/17/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Benjamin P. Carter
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Helmut Richter
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Ingrid Voigt
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Helmut Zeisel
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Dik T. Winter
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Victor Eijkhout
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Helmut Zeisel
2/18/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
David Seaman
2/19/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Brian M. Scott
2/20/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
G. A. Edgar
2/20/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Brian M. Scott
2/21/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Paul Miller
2/21/99
Read Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Benjamin P. Carter
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Robin Chapman
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Jake Wildstrom
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Steven Pigeon
2/21/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Steve Leibel
2/22/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Edward C. Hook
2/22/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
2/25/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Timothy Murphy
2/22/99
Read Re: Z, R, Q (was: German words for "number")
Keith Ellul
2/22/99
Read Re: German words for "number"
Keith Ramsay