Topic: 206,158,430,000 digits of pi
Replies: 28   Last Post: Oct 11, 1999 9:09 AM

Clive Tooth

Re: 206,158,430,000 digits of pi

Paul Hughett wrote in message <7sasat$h1m$1@netnews.upenn.edu>...

>Clive Tooth <clive@pisquaredoversix.force9.co.uk> wrote:
>: SAL wrote...
>
>:>The Kanada math lab at the University of Tokyo has just computed
>:>206,158,430,000 digits of pi. This is a new world's record.
>
>: Post 'em!
>

>Ummh. Before you do that, you might want to compute how long it would
>take to download that message over a 10 Mbps ethernet connection. And
>how large a disk you would need to store it on.

Oh my god! Yes... I had not considered how long it would take, disk
capacity, etc.

Erm... I know! Just take every millionth digit, put a decimal point on the
front, and post THAT! Only 206,158 digits! Call this number "micropi". This
would give us a... sort-of... _feel_ for the number pi. It would be a sort
of Readers Digest condensed version of pi. Just what we need in this busy
bustling world that we live in today.

--
Clive Tooth
http://www.pisquaredoversix.force9.co.uk/