Topic: This Week's Finds in Mathematical Physics (Week 140)
Replies: 10   Last Post: Oct 27, 1999 9:53 PM

Kresimir Kumericki

Flies, trains, and series summation

[sci.physics.research removed]

Then, "ian" <walkersystems@one.net.au> wrote:
> why sum a series?
> it takes the trains 1 hour to hit, the fly travels at 60 m/hr so the fly
> flies 60 miles...

When I heard about this puzzle long time ago I got the idea
that perhaps this way you can sum some complicated series using
the following procedure:
Construct (complicated) trains-fly path such that the fly, flying to
and fro, travels distances equal to the terms of your series.
Than the distance traveled by train(s) equals the sum of the series.
Now, I was too lazy (and mathematically ignorant) to investigate
into this idea but I'd love to hear if this wouldn't work and why (too
trivial probably).

Kresimir Kumericki kkumer@phy.hr http://www.phy.hr/~kkumer/
Theoretical Physics Department, University of Zagreb, Croatia