Topic: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jan 15, 2000 1:05 AM

James Harris

Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking

Mike Christie wrote in message ...
> James
>
> Clive Tooth's page was a positive benefit to me. When I started reading

this
> newsgroup, your posts and threads caught my eye. I was tempted to try to
help
> you in one of several ways--show you errors in your analyses, help you
improve
> the clarity of your explanations, talk about the possibility of trying to
prove
> intermediate results, and so on. Clive's page, via its links to the huge
> history of your posts in Deja, and the discussion of previous approaches

that
> had been tried, prevented me from expending that effort. I am pretty
sure,
> judging from the exchanges I have watched, that it would have been wasted
> effort, and I have already thanked Clive privately for the page.

That's fine. You may have cause to re-think all of that later. What I do
is look for a simple proof of FLT while testing out thinking methods. As I
do this I practice any number of verbal martial arts techniques as I
highlight bad thinking processes of the people who reply negatively to my
posts. And lately, I even found a chance to talk about "spin", which is an
important topic to me.

Astute readers are able to appreciate the "game" in a way that seems to
totally escape the people who like to jump in the ring. (Their behavior is
kind of weird. Sort of like a "Jerry Springer" kind of thing.)

So, the newsgroup is a big gymnasium as far as I'm concerned where I get to
exercise a lot of mental muscles while I continue with the serious business
of solving FLT simply.

So, I do listen carefully when people give advice. Thing is, I probably
have heard any advice that you might have given before.

> Why don't you start a new newsgroup, sci.math.flt?

And this is one I have heard more than once. Answer is, I don't see an
advantage in doing that at this time.

> I'll add that I was tempted not to post, since I am one of those who would
> rather the JSH threads just went away, and I don't like adding to them. I

don't
> expect to post to any of the JSH threads. But this particular thread
dealing
> with the issue of newsgroup etiquette seems to warrant some testimony from
> someone whom Clive's page helped.

I'm glad you posted. And your reticence in doing so makes your post that
much more valuable. I have a lot of control over whether and when the JSH
threads do go away (assuming that if I just quit, no one else would make
them), so you've addressed the right person. The way I'm thinking right
now, they're going to be around a little while longer.

However, I think that a lot of the tone of things will definitely change. I
don't like doing a lot of the same things over again. As far as I'm
concerned, a lot of ground has been covered in terms of the recreational
aspect and I'm not really getting anything out of it anymore (luckily, what
I practice with here, I can use to full effect elsewhere).

There is an interesting variant taking place now that is rather new. I
suspect I shall run it into the ground as I study it from all angles.

Take care.

James Harris

Date Subject Author
1/7/00
Read Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Nat Silver
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Euclid
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Charles H. Giffen
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Dan Hoey
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/10/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Dan Hoey
1/11/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Jim Ferry
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Erik Max Francis
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Jim Ferry
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
David C. Ullrich
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
John R Ramsden
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Nico Benschop
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Simon
mathedman@hotmail.com
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Arturo Magidin
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
David C. Ullrich
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Domnei
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
David C. Ullrich
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Erik Max Francis
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
David C. Ullrich
1/9/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/9/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
David C. Ullrich
1/10/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/10/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Richard Carr
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Mike Christie
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Erik Max Francis
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Erik Max Francis
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Andy Spragg
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/7/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Andy Spragg
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Keith Ramsay
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Clive Tooth
1/9/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
James Harris
1/15/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Keith Ramsay
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Keith Ramsay
1/8/00
Read RFD: alt.crackpot.james-harris
Craig Johnston
1/10/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
Jonathan Hoyle
1/8/00
Read Re: Clive Tooth's newsgroup stalking
David Libert