Topic: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 19, 2000 2:26 AM

Aidan Stanger

Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?

Peter <pmilne@the.net.nz> wrote:
> >Don McDonald wrote:
> >

> >> Buses always come in 3s.. 3 close together every 30
> >> minutes.

How long (in minutes) is the route?

> Someone once said that buses run on the banana principle ie they run in
> bunches.
>
> In all seriousness this is recognised and I understand that modern
> technology is being applied to this problem. For example indicators at
> bus stops indicating when the next bus is likely (based on satellite
> global positioning system)

But AFAIK none of them yet say how full the bus is.

> and dispatchers who know exactly where every
> bus is and who can give instructions to bus drivers. For example if buses
> start to bunch, the first bus is told not to pick up passengers so he can
> get ahead (ideally the destination indicator should be turned off).

What sort of destination indicators do you have?

I hope they're issuing better instructions than your example, though.
Are they telling the drivers when to run early and when to overtake?

All this technology will reduce the problem, but it won't actually solve
it. Assuming the buses are starting at even intervals (if they're not,
it's the easiest thing to fix), traffic conditions are causing the
delays. Things such as bus lanes and traffic signal priority can fix
this. Then there's the time taken to board. Conductors are the solution
to that.

--
Aidan Stanger
From London, where buses don't come in threes, but on some routes they

Date Subject Author
5/22/00
Read why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
don mcdonald
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Evad Rehtona
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jens Brix Christiansen
5/24/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Charles Bryant
5/24/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Bob Tiernan
5/24/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jeff Kurland
5/24/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
John Haggerty
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Bob Tiernan
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jeff Kurland
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Marc VanHeyningen
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Evad Rehtona
5/27/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Uncle Mort
5/28/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
fred klein
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jonathan Dushoff
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rich Grise
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
greg byshenk
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
fred klein
5/31/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Marc VanHeyningen
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
fred klein
6/10/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Charlie Thorne
6/11/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Marc VanHeyningen
6/14/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
fred klein
6/19/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
greg byshenk
5/29/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter
5/31/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Cyrek the Illogical
5/31/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Robin Payne
6/1/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Cyrek the Illogical
6/4/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Kragh Pedersen
6/4/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rich Grise
6/4/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Andrew Price
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
foo@bar.com
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
FinalJustyce
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
foo@bar.com
6/6/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
FinalJustyce
6/8/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rich Grise
6/10/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rebecca Macann's News
6/11/00
Read [OT] (was: Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?)
Kragh Pedersen
6/11/00
Read Re: [OT] (was: Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?)
Matthew T. Russotto
6/13/00
[...]
6/12/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rich Grise
6/8/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Magnus Homann
6/4/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Kragh Pedersen
6/5/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Laurence Bogle
6/11/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Aidan Stanger
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Bill
5/27/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Rebecca Macann's News
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Harpo
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Roy Everett Still no BOAT account!!
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Jason Rumney
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Brian M. Harmer
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
gerson
5/23/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
don mcdonald
5/22/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
James Lawry
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
watwinc
5/25/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Michael Press
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
don mcdonald
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Michael Press
5/26/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
Peter Percival
5/27/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
James Lawry
5/30/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s? , math book?
don mcdonald
5/30/00
Read Re: why do buses always come in 3s?
G Swaine