Topic: why .ps ?
Replies: 39   Last Post: Aug 9, 2000 3:13 PM

Lynn Killingbeck

Re: why .ps ?

QSCGZ wrote:

> some short answers and comments to posts from
> Lynn Killingbeck,Jeremy Boden,Steve L,Stephen Montgomery-Smith
>
> Lynn Killingbeck wrote:

> >QSCGZ wrote:
> >>
> >> why is most mathematical online-information only available in
> >> .ps or .dvi encrypted format ???
> >>
> >> I assume , that .ps can handle pictures , greek letters , integral
> >> symbol etc. , but there are usually ways to do this in ASCII as well ,
> >> with only small decrease of readability.
> >>
> >> (snip)
> >>
> >> disappointed , qscgz .

> >On what do you base this claim?
>
> e.g. usenet-postings (=ASCII)
>

> >Pictures in ASCII?
>
> rectangles , triangles , many graphs - no problem.
> watch out e.g. Bill Taylor's posts , although it's usually humour ,not math.
>

> >Greek letters in ASCII?
>
> ASCII 224-235 . But I meant , that often Latin letters or indices
> can be used instead of Greek ones with only small loss of readability.
>
> (rest snipped)

You are flaunting your ignorance. Values above 127 (decimal) have a
variety of symbols attached. The manual for my HP printer has several
pages of built-in symbols, with 25 different character sets. What shows
up as a Greek omega in one, is a German U-umlaut in another, just from
an instantaneous glance. Use anything from 127 upward, and you cannot
count on any one else seeing what you do.

Then there are the Wingdings and Zapf Dingbat fonts, even in the lower
numbers. And Ventura Math, Pi Math, Math-8, PS Math fonts playing in the
lower range, too, all from the RTFM part of the HP printer manual.

Signing off from this thread (again!).

Lynn Killingbeck