Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » Inactive » NCTM Standards 2000 A

Topic: Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site
Replies: 40   Last Post: Mar 8, 2003 12:15 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Jack Jersawitz

Posts: 100
Registered: 12/8/04
Math and the dangerous Mr. Zim Olsen
Posted: Aug 14, 1999 6:26 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply


On 12 Aug 99, Zim Olson wrote re. I see wholes in all Mathematical
theory also:

Mr. Olsen,
Unlike fellows like me, known for sharp words and sharp tone, Mr.
Newton Liebniz was gently trying to suggest you do some more study
because creativity in math has nothing to do with the free wheeling
impressionist stuff you purvey. Rather that creativity is the
implementation, and on occasion, development of mathematical concepts
to tease out the facts of the concrete reality of the universe in
which we exist.
Just as the anti-evolutionists assert, there are in fact "holes"
in all science since all we know at any one historical point is only
that which we have discovered or teased out up till now. Our knowledge
is neccesarily limited because in historical time we are limited and
as well all reality is constantly in motion and developing. But our
science benefits from our mistakes because of a function of thinking
called the negation of the negation, i.e., by making mistakes we
approach closer to the truth of the real, albeit, changing universe.
In math, the negation of the negation is the conceptual idea, an idea
all too many math teachers don't even think about much less express,
when they teach mechanically that a minus times a minus equals a plus.
Mr. Liebniz was gently trying to tell you that it is nice that you
want to discover and learn things about math and math instruction.
Nonetheless he was telling you also, much more politely then this my
response because of your offhand dismissal of Mr. Liebniz, that you
need to do a great deal of work instead of just mouthing off with
snakeoil like phrases and comments.
An example is your assertion that mathematics is based on time or
some axiom of such. Pity you hadn't really thought about it because
all things are based in time insofar as time is nothing more, nor
less, than energy/matter in motion, which is all.
And, anybody that knows anything, would not possibly misspell the
name Mr. Newton Liebniz has taken after that of the great and early
physicist.

Jack Jersawitz

> Dear Leniz/Newton: I see holes in all Mathematical theories as
well.
> Sometimes you just have to engage your brain a little bit. (See my
> comments on the axiom of time, on which Mathematics is based). This
> mathematics is just my response to the many holes I see in

Mathematics
> taught in schools. Thank you for your feed back, however, I really
> appreciate them.
>
> Zim Olson, BS, MAA member.
>





Date Subject Author
8/12/99
Read Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site
Zim Olson
8/12/99
Read Good intentions, but `Zim mathematics' is not mathematics.
Newton Leibniz
8/12/99
Read I see wholes in all Mathematical theory also
Zim Olson
8/14/99
Read Math and the dangerous Mr. Zim Olsen
Jack Jersawitz
8/15/99
Read dangerous ideas
Victor Steinbok
8/15/99
Read Huh? Whatchu talking about Willis?
Newton Leibniz
8/15/99
Read The central question
Jack Jersawitz
8/15/99
Read dangerous ideas and dangerous "mathematicians"
Jack Jersawitz
8/15/99
Read dangerous ideas and dangerous "mathematicians"
Jack Jersawitz
8/14/99
Read Mathematics and theory of knowledge
Jack Jersawitz
8/16/99
Read Math. Art dangerous to NCTM???!
Zim Olson
8/16/99
Read A full blown example
Jack Jersawitz
8/17/99
Read The GRAND FINALE to this topic!
Newton Leibniz
8/17/99
Read Why a Creative Axiom for Mathematics
Zim Olson
8/17/99
Read The pity of it is..
Jack Jersawitz
8/17/99
Read I'll buy that
Jack Jersawitz
8/17/99
Read The GRNAD FINALE: A Jack in every stable
Victor Steinbok
8/17/99
Read Snake oil and apricot pits
Jack Jersawitz
8/17/99
Read Snake oil and apricot pits
Jack Jersawitz
8/19/99
Read My last reply to Vic.
Newton Leibniz
8/19/99
Read Nonetheless
Jack Jersawitz
8/27/99
Read The straw man
Steve Jystad
8/28/99
Read Response to S. Jystad Part I
Newton Liebniz
8/28/99
Read Response to S. Jystad Part II
Newton Leibnitz
8/29/99
Read And classroom examples
Jack Jersawitz
8/29/99
Read And classroom examples
Jack Jersawitz
3/8/03
Read Re: The straw man
xfly
8/17/99
Read The GRNAD FINALE: A Jack in every stable
Victor Steinbok
12/15/02
Read Re: Math. Art dangerous to NCTM???! w/ new web address.
Zim Olson
8/16/99
Read Math. Art dangerous to NCTM???!
Zim Olson
8/27/99
Read Your philosophy site
Kirby Urner
8/28/99
Read Lack of Standard for Creative Mathematics for NCTM
Zim Olson
9/13/00
Read Re: Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site
wil
9/14/00
Read Explanation of some of Zim's ideas.
Zim Olson
9/24/00
Read Re: Explanation of some of Zim's ideas.
wil
9/24/00
Read Further explanation: Old paper of mine, 1997.
Zim Olson
9/30/00
Read Another example, Creative Math, Old Paper of Zim's Apr. 2000
Zim Olson
9/30/00
Read Re: Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site
Jack Jersawitz
10/8/00
Read System - Subsystem; Hierarchy & Definition. Answer attempt
Zim Olson
12/15/02
Read Re: Creative Math. on Zim Mathematics Web Site.(New Address)
Zim Olson
1/17/03
Read New Zim Mathematics Web Site
Zim Olson

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.