The Math Forum

Topic: quotation
Replies: 21   Last Post: Aug 27, 1996 12:42 PM

Dave Seaman

Re: quotation

In article <4ussdp$1j0@ns2.ny.ubs.com>, Paul J. Bell <pjb@ny.ubs.com> wrote:
>a friend and i have a different opinion regarding the author of the following quotation:
>
>"Also the astronomers surely will not have to continue to exercise the
>patience which is required for computation. It is this that deters them
>from computing or correcting tables, from the construction of
>Ephemerides, from working on hypotheses, anf form discussions of
>observations with each other. For it is unworthy of excellent men to
>lose hours like slaves in the labour of calculation which could safely
>be relegated to anyone else if machines were used."
>
>said friend thinks that the author was Leibniz and i think that it was Gauss.
>opinions, please, with a reference, if possible.

I think it was Charles Babbage. I don't recognize the entire quote,
but the last sentence of your quotation is quite familiar. Neither
Leibniz nor Gauss was proposing the use of a machine to replace human
labo[u]r in the calculation of mathematical tables. Babbage was, by
means of his Difference Engine. The mention of astronomers rings true,
because Babbage's request for government funds to continue his project
was denied by the Astronomer Royal.

I may be able to find a reference for you this evening.

--
Dave Seaman dseaman@purdue.edu
++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++