The Math Forum

Topic: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jan 22, 2001 6:02 PM

Ross A. Finlayson

Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals

Jan Kristian Haugland wrote:

> "Ross A. Finlayson" wrote:
>

> > Jan Kristian Haugland wrote:

> > > What does this mean? (1) There are infinitely
> > > many triplets (a, b, c) with 1/a + 1/b = 1/c,
> > > or (2) there are infinitely many pairs (a, b)
> > > with 1/a + 1/b = 1/2001? If a, b and c are
> > > restricted to the positive integers then (1)
> > > is trivially true and (2) is trivially false.

> > If you assign c a sufficiently large value, then for some value a slightly
> > greater than c and b greater than a then there is a solution. If there is one
> > there is probably infinite.

> Huh? If c is a fixed positive integer, and a and b
> are positive integers with 1/a + 1/b = 1/c, then
> clearly b <= c^2 + c (corresponding to a = c + 1).
> Are you saying that b might be even bigger, or that
> c is not fixed, or that not all of a, b, c need to
> be integers? If c is not fixed, are you arguing for
> the trivial (1) above?

I don't understand your objection.

I think you are saying that it is possible to derive an ideal boundary where
solutions would exist. You use the term c squared plus c, that can be derived
various ways.

Here, the point is that if there are solutions for any numbers, then there are
probably solutions for many values of c, that being an integer value of c greater
than 1.

I am saying that c is not fixed.

Now, I feel more confident that I understand.

> > Why I think this is so is that as a and b are each greater in this way than c,
> > then
> >
> > 1/a + 1/b < 1/c
> >
> > because as soon the left side is equal then the search for a solution can stop.
> >
> > So, as b approaches a from being much larger than a, then
> >
> > lim 1/a + 1/(b->a) = 2/a > 1/c
> >
> > The relationship does show that the value of the left side can go form greater
> > to less than 1/c, the right side. If so, there are more solutions for high
> > values of c.
> >
> > Ross
> >
> > --
> > Ross Andrew Finlayson
> > Finlayson Consulting
> > Ross at Tiki-Lounge: http://www.tiki-lounge.com/~raf/
> > "The best mathematician in the world is Maplev in Ontario." - Pertti L.

> --
>
> Jan Kristian Haugland
> http://home.hia.no/~jkhaug00

Ross

--
Ross Andrew Finlayson
Finlayson Consulting
Ross at Tiki-Lounge: http://www.tiki-lounge.com/~raf/
"The best mathematician in the world is Maplev in Ontario." - Pertti L.

Date Subject Author
1/1/01
Read Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
saxon970@yahoo.com
1/1/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Steve Lord
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Dik T. Winter
1/3/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Philip Anderson
1/11/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
355113@my-deja.com
1/1/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Randy Poe
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/9/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/9/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/11/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/12/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/13/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/13/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/18/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/18/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/22/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/4/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Brian Evans
1/4/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Dave Seaman
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Damiano Scapeccia
1/7/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Adam Stephanides