The Math Forum

Topic: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jan 22, 2001 6:02 PM

Dik T. Winter

Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals

In article <3A52637B.FA726CF@hot.rr.com> "Ross A. Finlayson" <rfinlayson@hot.rr.com> writes:
> Here is a regular form:
> 1/3 x + 1/6 x = 1/2 x
> Where here the a, b and c are 3x, 6x, and 2x, for any positve integer x.
> For any positive integer x, x=x, thus there are infinite solutions.
> There are probably infinite regular forms.

Yup. Not only probably but provable. Take p a prime, we have:
1/(p+1) + 1/p(p+1) = 1/p
and when you multiply all three demoninators by the same integer does not make
a difference. So there are inifinitely arithmetically unrelated forms.

However, in your first response you stated:
> Set a to 2001 or greater and b to a large value. The result is very close
> to 1/2001, where 2001 is called c,
> 1/a + 1/b = 1/c, or
> a ^-1 + b ^-1 = c^-1
> There are probably infinite solutions.

As David Eppstein has shown in this very same thread, for each fixed c there
are only finitely many solution, and the number of solutions is also shown
(and that number is never 0).

Date Subject Author
1/1/01
Read Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
saxon970@yahoo.com
1/1/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Steve Lord
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Ross A. Finlayson
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Dik T. Winter
1/3/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Philip Anderson
1/11/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
355113@my-deja.com
1/1/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/2/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
r.e.s.
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Randy Poe
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/9/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/9/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/11/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/12/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/13/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/13/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/18/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/18/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David C. Ullrich
1/22/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/4/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Brian Evans
1/4/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
the_great_nathan@my-deja.com
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Dave Seaman
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
David Eppstein
1/5/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Jan Kristian Haugland
1/6/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Damiano Scapeccia
1/7/01
Read Re: Integer pairs in sum of reciprocals
Adam Stephanides