The Math Forum

Topic: Math and music
Replies: 44   Last Post: Oct 20, 2004 7:38 AM

John M. Gamble

Re: Math and music

In article <sb9rm0hkuur5735dcl9iqsnskjcd7d4vrq@4ax.com>,
David Dalton <dalton@nfld.com> wrote:
>Could you recommend good book(s) on the mathematics of music?
>Such could be a book on music theory with a lot of mathematics.
>
>I am very advanced mathematically and know a good bit about
>acoustical physics and related mathematics but not much yet
>about music theory including the frequencies of various notes,
>the mathematical definition of musical keys and of harmonization
>and more. But again I am mathematically advanced and
>also have a good ear I think now, and may try to learn an
>instrument soon.

*Self-Similar Melodies* by Tom Johnson got a short but positive
review in Scientific American. I can't personally vouch one way
or another, as it is still on my "get around to buying or borrowing"
list.

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.

Date Subject Author
10/13/04
Read Math and music