The Math Forum

Replies: 16   Last Post: Mar 22, 2002 12:58 PM

Gottfried Helms

Re: [JSH/HSJ] Another document of P.d.Fermat discovered

lawrence froopthoid schrieb:

> Gottfried Helms <helms@hrz.uni-kassel.de> wrote:
> > lawrence froopthoid schrieb:
> >>
> >> anyone care to post a gif or jpg of the plot somewhere on the web?

> > Ok, if no one else, then I post one on Wednesday...

> wednesday has come and gone... i'd still like to see the plot!
>
> thanks --l.f.

Well, no one else did you the favour.
A appended 2 files; the coloring appears as indicating the difference of a
f(x,y) - value from zero; the zeros are black.

1) This is the first formula, which was presented in the NG.
Supposedly it shows P d Fermat in a sketch, showing the principle of
math-of-objects. Maybe he intended a self-portrait , maybe he simply
wanted to introduce less educated people to the principle of
connected circles and ellipses in function-plots.

2) The second was a much more sophisticated version, which
translation from the latin formulation (containing concatenated
"cubus cubus cubus..." until the power of 38 was reached.
Imagine the work for the researcher!) was really a task. In modern
math-expression the formula is an astonishing ~ 100-liner; he
did not even try to nail it down to a book-margin! Maybe his
obvious superiority to all his contemporary people made him
grin a little bit, knowing only people of later centruries would be
able to give him a wink...

So here the function plots go: (attached as jpeg-binaries, hope
not to conflige with the NG-eticette...)

Gottfried Helms
.
.
.