Topic: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Replies: 163   Last Post: Jun 20, 2005 1:03 AM

Victor Eijkhout

Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)

Robin Chapman <rjc@ivorynospamtower.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Why change the subject anyway, which was about non-americans using
> americanisms instead of writing in standard English.

To someone whose native language is not any variant of English, standard
is what they encounter first or most often. For me, as probably for Han,
that implied calling our discipline "math".

V.
--
email: lastname at cs utk edu
homepage: www cs utk edu tilde lastname

Date Subject Author
6/13/05
Read Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
David Petry
6/13/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Nathan
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Barb Knox
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robert Low
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Gottfried Helms
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Gottfried Helms
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Matt Gutting
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Gottfried Helms
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Matt Gutting
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Nathan
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Denis Feldmann
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Denis Feldmann
6/19/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/14/05
Read Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/14/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Victor Eijkhout
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
[...]
Read Grammar was Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Matt Gutting
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Randy Poe
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
stephen@nomail.com
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Clifford J. Nelson
6/15/05
[...]
Read Franzen's babbling
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's babbling
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's babbling
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's babbling
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Franzen's religious babbling was Re: Franzen's babbling
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Franzen's religious babbling was Re: Franzen's babbling
Torkel Franzen
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chan-Ho Suh
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Lee Rudolph
6/15/05
[...]
Daniel Ryan
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Russell Blackadar
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics
(Cantor's Theory)
Jesse F. Hughes
6/15/05
Read British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
G. A. Edgar
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Dave Rusin
6/17/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Keith Ramsay
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Virgil
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Jim Sprigs
6/15/05
Read Re: British English (was: Anti-humanistic mathematics
Gerry Myerson
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daryl McCullough
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
W. Dale Hall
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Tom Traubert
6/17/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Jeremy Boden
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Torkel Franzen
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
vkarlamov@yahoo.com
6/18/05
[...]
Richard Tobin
6/16/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chan-Ho Suh
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dik T. Winter
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
TonyBones
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
Matt Gutting
6/18/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Darren
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's
Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/15/05
Read Re: Anti-humanistic mathematics was Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
TonyBones
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/13/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chris Menzel
6/13/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daryl McCullough
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Han de Bruijn
6/19/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
jirka@5z.com
6/20/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Keith Ramsay
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
fishfry
6/14/05
[...]
Starx
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Dr. David Kirkby
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chan-Ho Suh
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Mark Nudelman
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Poker Joker
6/14/05
[...]
David C. Ullrich
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
guenther.vonKnakspott@gmx.de
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daniel Ryan
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Chas Brown
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Victor Eijkhout
6/14/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
vkarlamov@yahoo.com
6/15/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daniel Asimov
6/15/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Robin Chapman
6/15/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Daniel Ryan
6/17/05
Read Re: Humanistic mathematics (Cantor's Theory)
Martin Semerád
6/17/05