Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 14, 2005 5:09 PM

Fernando Q. Gouvea

Re: [HM] Applied mathematics reference

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:14:34 -0400, Roy Weintraub wrote:

>I have a garbled memory of coming across the statement from a
>distinguished 20th century mathematician (Weil? MacLane?) that
>"Applied mathematics is not mathematics". Am I misremembering? If
>not, can you provide the reference? Thank you.

Paul Halmos once wrote an article called "Applied Mathematics is Bad
Mathematics"; I think it can be found in "Mathematics Tomorrow", edited
by Lynn Steen.

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Dept. of Mathematics Editor, FOCUS and FOCUS Online
Colby College http://www.maa.org
Mayflower Hill 5836
Waterville, ME 04901