Topic: Pronouncing "Chebyshev"
Replies: 13   Last Post: Feb 6, 2013 4:47 AM

hantheman

Re: Pronouncing "Chebyshev"

jps06111@operamail.com (James the Lurker) wrote in message news:<3da357ab.11846910@news.earthlink.net>...
> My statistics teacher and I are at odds as how to "Chebyshev" is
> pronounced. She says "Cheh bee' chev". I say "Cheh' bih shov". I
> realize that both or neither of these could be correct, but if anyone
> knows the preferred way to say, I'd be grateful for an answer.
>
> Many thanks,

"Cheh' bih shov" is way off, while your teacher is just about right.
"Che-bee-chef" is the correct pronunciation (no particular stress on
syllables.) You can hear Jeff Vaaler pronounce it correctly in his
millenium problem speech (go to claymath.org and watch'n'hear the
Riemann Hypo' video.)

-Han