Topic: Pronouncing "Chebyshev"
Replies: 13   Last Post: Feb 6, 2013 4:47 AM

G. A. Edgar

Re: Pronouncing "Chebyshev"

In article <3da357ab.11846910@news.earthlink.net>, James the Lurker
<jps06111@operamail.com> wrote:

> My statistics teacher and I are at odds as how to "Chebyshev" is
> pronounced. She says "Cheh bee' chev". I say "Cheh' bih shov". I
> realize that both or neither of these could be correct, but if anyone
> knows the preferred way to say, I'd be grateful for an answer.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --James

I would say, accent on the LAST syllable, and the vowel is therefore
more like English O than E.

--
G. A. Edgar http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~edgar/