The Math Forum

Topic: How many real numbers are there?
Replies: 18   Last Post: Jul 9, 2006 3:00 PM

Virgil

Re: How many real numbers are there?

In article <1152309564.527592.50740@s53g2000cws.googlegroups.com>,
"Mike Deeth" <mike_deeth@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Nowhere in the constructions of the real numbers do we make any
> assumptions that we are in some exotic set theory with supernatural
> powers.

ZF and ZFC and NBG are hardly exotic any more, and require no powers
beyond a minimal ability to follow logical arguments.

> Please stop picking on strawmen and admit the
> deep flaw in the Cantor Cabal.
>
> Very humbly and sincerely your friend,
> Nathan Deeth
> Age 11 :-)

The only deep flaw is that Cantor was so unwise as to publish a watered
down 2nd proof of his theorem that the reals are uncountable. It was
watered down to the point that many who cannot work through the original
proof mistakenly think that they understand the 2nd proof.