Topic: JSH: Math is cruel
Replies: 27   Last Post: Nov 18, 2006 1:44 PM

jshsucks@yahoo.com

Re: Math is not cruel. Math is indifferent.

jstevh@msn.com wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> > You are confusing two concepts: "cruel" and "indifferent".
> >
> > If you trip over a rock, the rock is not being cruel, just indifferent.
> >
> > If you throw a rock at someone, that is cruel.
> >
> > If you repeatedly smash your head against a rock,
> > which you do here, and others point out that maybe
> > you should try to do something useful instead, are
> > they being cruel?
> >
> > If you repeatedly try to convince others that smashing
> > your head against a rock is a good idea, and that they
> > should try it too, aren't YOU the cruel one?

> Well, that makes sense for a rock, but mathematics is about
> intelligence.
>
> I suggest to you that math IS intelligence.
>
> It is the sine qua non of intelligence.
>
> So, you can say that the math KNOWS what it is doing when you run out
> of money, and can't feed yourself. It just doesn't give you more so
> that you can survive.
>
> It will let you die, despite its absolute intelligence.
>
> Get it?
>
> I will win here despite all the opposition because the math is what
> rules, and the denials of posters is just about gaining the
> energy--mathematically required--to allow me to change the academic
> world.
>
> So despite your belief in your own free will and intelligence, your
> behavior is really just about the need to change one piece of the world
> as mathematically required as the math is absolute intelligence, so
> there is no way you can change what MUST logically happen.
>
> So, math is not a rock.
>
> It is absolute intelligence. Complete and total intelligence.
>
> So it knows what it is doing to you.
>

> James Harris

So you are saying that math is sentient?

Are you sure you want to add that statement to your list of
accomplishments?

I am sure that you will be taking down the world of current acadamia
with that little insight.