Replies: 55   Last Post: Feb 19, 2007 11:48 PM

Moti Levi

[math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
att1.html (12.6 K)

--- In math-learn@yahoogroups.com, "Paul A. Tanner III" <uprho@...>
wrote:

> But is it? All I'm saying is that after seeing students (including
when
> I was a student) struggle and struggle with trying to make sense of
the
> conditional, and teachers trying and trying to explain it, I kept
> asking myself, "Why doesn't the teacher just change the tense of the
> verb?" Is is really less simple language to use a tense other than the
> present tense? We have children pretend things all the time, using the
> counterfactual tense. Example: As a creative writing exercise, we

could
> have them fill in the blank in "If I were a bird, then _____." I don't
> see that it's necessarily more simple and more appropriate language to
> use the present tense, and ask, "If I am a bird, then _____."
>
> Another example, in the math realm: Which question would more likely
> cause less of a problem for students, the first one using the
> counterfactual tense, or the second one using the present tense? (1)

If
> Earth's radius were the same as Jupiter's, then what would be Earth's
> circumference? (1) If Earth's radius is the same as Jupiter's, then
> what is Earth's circumference?
>
> Paul

Yesterday or two days ago I wrote a long response and it seems it didn't
go through the system. Now I'll be concise (ah...bless the system).

I agree that in your examples we should use the counterfactual tense
because it is the right tense to use for the situation discussed.

I was referring to simple word problems such as: Sara had some cookies.
If 9 were taken..." with the point being that instead we can say "9 were
taken..." to simplify it for students, or teach them to drop the if for
simplicity.

Date Subject Author
1/28/07
Read [math-learn] Transforming formulas
Antonija Horvatek
1/28/07
Read Re: [math-learn] 'Simplifying', e.g.,
a 4th root destroys information (?!)
John Morse
1/28/07
Read Re: [math-learn] 'Simplifying', e.g., a 4th root destroys information (?!)
Zeev Wurman
1/28/07
Read Re: [math-learn] 'Simplifying', e.g., a 4th root destroys
information (?!)
Ed Wall
1/28/07
Read Re: [math-learn] 'Simplifying', e.g.,
a 4th root destroys information (?!)
Richard Sisley
1/29/07
Read Re: [math-learn] 'Simplifying', e.g., a 4th root destroysinformation (?!)
Rex Boggs
1/29/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Transforming formulas
Rex Boggs
1/29/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Transforming formulas
John Morse
1/29/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Transforming formulas
Chris
1/29/07
Read Re: [math-learn] 12+0, 11+1, 10+2 all lead to ... graph of a parabola
John Morse
1/29/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Antonija Horvatek
1/29/07
Read RE: [math-learn] Transforming formulas
John Clement
1/30/07
Read RE: [math-learn] Transforming formulas
Paul A. Tanner III
1/30/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Transforming formulas
Joshua Zucker
1/31/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Transforming formulas
Paul A. Tanner III
1/31/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Moti
1/31/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Paul A. Tanner III
1/31/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
timotha@comcast.net
2/1/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Moti
2/1/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Antonija Horvatek
2/1/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
John Clement
2/2/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
timotha@comcast.net
2/2/07
Read RE: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
John Clement
2/2/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
timotha@comcast.net
2/2/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Moti
2/2/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Paul A. Tanner III
2/3/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Moti
2/3/07
Read [math-learn] Thinking logially [was: Transforming formulas]
John Clement
2/5/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Thinking logially [was: Transforming formulas]
Moti
2/5/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Thinking logially [was: Transforming formulas]
Ed Wall
2/8/07
Read Re: [math-learn] "22 Game": pick 3-digit #,
add up 6 permutations of 2 digits. divide by sum of digits of 3-digit #, = 22
John Morse
2/4/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Paul A. Tanner III
2/5/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Moti Levi
2/4/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Antonija Horvatek
2/2/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Ralph A. Raimi
2/3/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Moti
2/3/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Ralph A. Raimi
2/4/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Moti
2/4/07
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Ralph A. Raimi
2/5/07
Read [math-learn] Terminology (was Transforming formulas)
Alva
2/5/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Terminology (was Transforming formulas)
Moti Levi
2/5/07
[...]
Jerome Epstein
2/19/07
Read [math-learn] Re: Transforming formulas
Jon Wilson
1/30/07