Topic: Hex Win Proof?
Replies: 41   Last Post: Mar 24, 2004 6:39 PM

Richard Henry

Re: Hex Win Proof?

"Bill Taylor" <w.taylor@math.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote in message
> It is an old theorem that in Hex, once the board has been completely
> filled in with two colours, there *must* be a winning path for one
> or other of them.
>
> Now, I can prove this easily enough mathematically, but I'm wondering if
> there is a simple proof, or proof outline, that would be understandable
> and reasonably convincing to the intelligent layman.
>
> Can anyone help out please?

Looks like an opportunity for an inductive proof. Show that there is always
a winner for a small board, where the number of cases is small and all can
be drawn quickly. Then show that adding a row and column to a finished
board will always yield a winning path for one player or the other.

-----
> Bill Taylor W.Taylor@math.canterbury.ac.nz

-----
> The empty board waits.